Birthmarks are common and harmless, but may be unwanted for cosmetic reasons. Some types of birthmarks can also resemble harmful skin conditions, making it beneficial to see a dermatology professional to be sure. At West Sound Dermatology in Poulsbo, WA, our providers help patients with careful skin exams and birthmark treatment options.
Common Types of Birthmarks
Birthmarks come in many shapes, sizes, colors, and textures. Some types of birthmarks are more common than others. Some different types of birthmarks include:
- Strawberry hemangioma: a red or pink lump that is firm and rubbery in texture. These birthmarks tend to grow until the infant reaches 4-6 months old.
- Salmon patch: also known as a stork bite, angel kiss, or muscular stain, these are the most common type of birthmark. They are thin, flat, and may be red or pink.
- Congenital moles (nevi): a mole present at birth, typically brown in color.
- Café-au-lait spot: a smooth, flat birthmark that may range in color from tan to chocolate brown.
- Mongolian spot: a smooth blue or grey spot most common on the lower back or buttocks.
- Port-wine stain: a mark that is pink or red at birth and darkens to a deep red or purple color within a few years. Most typically found on the face, these marks may develop bumps later in life.
Birthmark Treatment Options
Birthmark treatment is not necessary for the skin’s health but can be an option for cosmetic reasons. Many patients choose to treat birthmarks in prominent areas, such as the face. If you choose to have a birthmark removed or lightened, your options may include:
- Laser treatments
- Surgical removal